Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Saturday Was A Great Day Pt2 (Lassiter Mtn)

For the past few weeks I've had the TV at work on Speed Channel as background noise. Every morning a show called "Pass Time" comes on. If you haven't seen it you should it's a fun game show based around guessing the E.T. of drag racers. I guess that show has reignited my love of drag racing because I have the bug this year. Not so much to do it, but to see and especially hear it. The Saturday was opening day for the 2013 season at Lassiter Mountain Dragway. I haven't been to "The Mountain" since the early 80's so I figured it was time to check it out. The new owners are doing a lot of work and the place is looking great. It still has the feel that it did before, but everything is in better shape. So I showed up and started to wander around and take pics. A lot of folks said they would try to make it, but life gets in the way and Charles Cole is the only one who could swing it. That's OK we had a blast talking hot rods while I was busy taking pictures. Most of these were taken from the top of the bleachers, but next time I plan to move around a lot more and maybe see if I can get down in the staging area to get some cool shots. I'm not going to say much about the cars other than the basics of the make and model type stuff, because I don't know much about them except for a little I learned on facebook about them when I posted a few pics. I will say that a lot of work went into these rides and they were very entertaining to watch. It'll be a few weeks before I can make it back, but I do plan on going again soon. If you can make it I highly encourage it.



S10 heating up the tires.



My first drivable car was a 73 Vega so I have a soft spot for them.



This Toyota truck and the Vega next to it were my favorites. The truck because it was SUPER clean, pretty damned fast and did the best wheelstand of the night while I was there. The Vega because it is the same model as my first one. I just WISH I could have tubbed mine out and put a V8 in it.



1955 Chevy for my friend Mike Kendrick, he used to race one on the Mountain back in the 60's.



Starting to line up in the staging lanes.



Best picture I got of the Toyota doing a wheelie, next time I'm going to get with the driver and make sure I get a good clean shot. The other car was pretty damned fast too, it's just not my style.



Another S10 making tire smoke.



One of the fasted damned cars of the night. The '68 Camaro was a blast to watch.



It may look stock, but this Trans Am had a little power under that hole in the hood.



This Pinto was another great car to watch, he could get the wheels up too and was really fun to watch. I want to get more pics of it next time as well.

That's it for this time, I have one more post to make about Saturday night's racing.

No comments:

Post a Comment