Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Walker Sisters cabin, Smokey Mountains, TN

This is the Walker Sisters cabin near Little Grennbrier TN in the Smokey Mtns. National Park. They were a family of sisters who never married and lived on the family farm when the park was established. They were allowed to live out their life here and were one of the last families to live in the park. One sister did marry and had children, I was lucky enough to meet one of her kids (Effie Phipps) and hear some cool stories. According to my Mother we are related to this family by marriage somehow and my Grandpa Garrett actually spent the night in the cabin when he was young. Today you can get to the cabin by going to the Little Greenbrier School and then walking a ways back along the trail to the cabin. I've been here quite a few times and have enjoyed every visit, whether it was with my Folks and Sister years ago or even a few years ago with my Wife. There is always a "cool vibe" when I visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment